Hank has been experiencing quite a bit of joint pain during the last few weeks or so. When he was telling me (aka complaining) about it, I suggested that he try a Genesis/paleo/primal diet to see if that would help.
As we were driving home from work the other day, he said, “I know that you have to convince me that you know what you’re talking about and you were right about the dietary changes I needed to make. My joints don’t seem to be hurting as badly as they were.”
Food is more than calories. It’s nutrition and information. Some foods reduce inflammation which causes anything that ends in “itis.” Other foods cause inflammation.
According to the Arthritis Foundation, these foods cause inflammation……
- Sugar – processed sugars trigger the release of inflammatory messengers called cytokines.
- Saturated Fats – saturated fats trigger adipose (fat tissue) inflammation, which is not only an indicator for heart disease but it also worsens arthritis inflammation.
- Trans Fats -Known to trigger systemic inflammation, trans fat can be found in fast foods and other fried products, processed snack foods, frozen breakfast products, cookies, donuts, crackers and most stick margarines.
- Omega 6 Fatty Acids – excess consumption of omega-6s can trigger the body to produce pro-inflammatory chemicals.
Refined Carbohydrates – processed carbohydrates may trump fats as the main driver of escalating rates of obesity and other chronic conditions. These high-glycemic index foods fuel the production of advanced glycation end (AGE) products that stimulate inflammation.
- MSG – this chemical can trigger two important pathways of chronic inflammation, and affect liver health.
- Gluten & Casien – common allergens like gluten and casein (proteins found in dairy and wheat) may also promote inflammation.
- Aspartame – It is a neurotoxin, which means it affects the brain. If you are sensitive to this chemical, your immune system will react to the “foreign substance” by attacking the chemical, which in return, will trigger an inflammatory response.
- Alcohol – excessive use weakens liver function and disrupts other multi-organ interactions and can cause inflammation.
Now the question is what foods reduce inflammation in the body…..
I think a good rule of thumb when it comes to eating is this……
Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.”
And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.”
And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.”