During the last few months, I’ve had the opportunity to drive across the country, go above the Mason-Dixon line, and visit several churches. Everywhere I’ve gone, I’ve seen the effects of the Standard American Diet and the lack of physical fitness. I’ll be honest, it makes me sad when I see it in the malls, on the sidewalks, at gas stations, on the beach, and in restaurants. I think it makes me even sadder when I see it in our churches because I know that there is a better life for us than what we’re living.
Jesus promised us much more than an abundant waist size – he promised us abundant life. And the truth is that the church is not living that abundant life because we are as overweight and out-of-shape as the rest of the world.
And we, the church, are lying to ourselves about it. We justify being overweight and out-of-shape by saying things like:
- The doctor tells me I’m perfectly healthy
- I like myself this way
- I can’t lose weight
- I hate exercise
- I’m not worth the time, energy, money, (fill in the blank) to take care of myself
- Being fit is not important to God, me, my spouse, my family……
I don’t think the Psalmist was talking about health issues when he asked God to keep him from lying to himself but we should be.
Don’t you think it’s time for a little bit of truth in your life? You know it’s the truth that will set you free! Ask the Father to keep you from lying to yourself by taking a good look in the mirror.
- Does your body represent Christ?
- Are you in good enough shape that you can live that abundant life that Jesus promised you?
- Are you watching life go by instead of living it to the fullest?
- Are you able to go and do whatever God calls you to go and do?